Our aims and Objectives:
- Our choir is non-auditioned. It is open to anyone and inclusive of any who wishes to join, including non-student associate members which helps to give the choir a multi-generational community feel.
- Learning secular songs from all around the world to build an expansive repertoire of diverse and international songs, often accompanied with props, drums and, rather excitingly, dance!
- Showcasing our diverse sets of songs in our performances, with yearly events including our Winter Concert and Respect Festival, often helping to raise money for charity initiatives like homeless shelters and Animal Aid.
- Being invited to perform at exciting events, such as the Bristol Community Choir Convention and the 'Lates' at the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, and asked to collaborate with other societies, such as Contemporary Society and even Breakdance Society!
- To make friends and become a family away from home (especially international students who are thousands of miles from home and we welcome with open arms), all coming together to experience the joy of being in the midst of glorious harmonies.
Enjoy music from all around the world? Want to join a society with a real community-feel? Look no further than our fun and friendly choir! Come sing with us! First session free! No auditions! Have a little peak at what we sound like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIAyQPCEfUE
Taught by a professional, fun and friendly director, we rehearse every Tuesday from 7-8:30pm in the Peter Chalk Rooms 1.1-1.3, singing exceptionally stunning and impressive music from all around the world. This means different languages, intricate harmonies and a chance to try something new each and every week!
We pride ourselves most in being one of very few non-auditioned choirs associated with the University. That's because we put inclusivity at the core of the choir's ethos - everyone is welcome. So, as well as members from all across the planet, we also welcome non-student members, to create a holistic sound that represents the whole of society! It's what makes us unique amongst the university's non-classical choirs, and inspires a real community feel.
As a choir we perform in many concerts; one held at the end of each term; big yearly events (Bristol Community Choir Convention, Exeter Respect Festival and Exeter Respect Festival on Streatham Campus) and some new and exciting venues (like the Eden Project and at the Corn Exchange). We already have events lined up for this year, including our Winter Concert in the Chapel.
Onto the musical side of things: we mainly sing ‘a cappella’ (unaccompanied – just voices in harmony) but occasionally we’ll add a percussion instrument or two for added effect - we recently learned a Native American song accompanied with buffalo drums and rattles which proved so impressive in performance! Expect the occasional dance move which really lifts spirits for audience and performers alike...
Cost for students: £20 annual membership + £2 subs for each session.
Cost for non-students: £60/ £50 (concession) per 10 week term in Autumn and Spring. The Summer term is proportionately reduced as it is a short term. (This includes an annual payment to the student Guild for being a student Guild 'Associate Member').
This covers our brilliant director's salary.
Feel free to come along to any session - your first one is free - and experience our fun and friendly choir!
Find out more about us and listen to us on our website: www.ojay.uk/worldmusicchoir
For more information email Amy Butterworth (Co-President) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Matt Bartlett (Co-President) at email@example.com
We can't wait to meet you and sing with you soon!