Aims and Objectives:
- To promote a welcoming and inclusive space for LGBTQ+ students
- To campaign for the welfare of above students
- To host fun social events for our society
Exeter LGBTQ+ Soc is a society at the University of Exeter dedicated to providing a safe space for those who identify as LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer and questioning, as well as other sexual and gender identities such as asexual, intersex and genderqueer) to fully express their sexual orientation and/or gender identity without fear of intimidation or harassment. We also welcome straight allies, so don’t be afraid to come along to one of our events, whoever you might happen to be!
Our main goal as a society is to organise events catered towards our LGBTQ+ members, such as visiting BeYou, Exeter's most extravagant and inclusive night, Loud & Queer, our very own LGBTQ+ Open Mic night or just meeting every Wednesday at Pieminister for our casual weekly lunch. We also screen LGBTQ+ films throughout the year, host lectures given by academics from the university on a range of subjects from the AIDS crisis to Queer Theology and give our own talks on topical LGBTQ+ subjects.
We are also involved in campaigning for LGBTQ+ rights, as well as raising awareness of issues regarding sexuality, gender identity and intersectionality on campus, with our Campaigns & Causes and Welfare Officers always more than keen to listen to your ideas and suggestions.
Our Facebook presence is divided across three spaces:
- A public page where all our events will be created & official announcements made.
- A closed group, serving as a community/discussion space for members enrolled for this academic year.
- A secret group for members who would prefer or need to keep their affiliation to the society private, but still want to be kept in the loop on what we're up to.
If you would like to be added to the secret group please add one of the committee members so we can then add you to the group; our names can be found on the public page listed below.
Public page: www.facebook.com/UOE.LGBT
2017/18 Closed group: www.facebook.com/groups/UOE.LGBT.2017.18
Secret group: www.facebook.com/groups/UOE.LGBT.SECRET.GROUP