QSoc Committee 2019/2020
President: Eva Penhallurick
Treasurer: Jessica Thompson
Secretary: Tom Downes
What is QSoc?
A brand new student society for Quakers, friends of Quakers and people interested in finding out about Quakerism.
Who can join QSoc?
Anyone! You don’t have to be a Quaker already. The great thing about Quakerism is that you don’t need to ‘sign up’ to anything in particular. There are Atheist Quakers, Humanist Quakers, Christian Quakers, Buddhist Quakers, Muslim Quakers, Jewish Quakers and so on and so on. Anyone can come to our events and join in - everyone is welcome!
What is Quakerism?
The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) has roots in a 17th-century offshoot from Protestantism, with a strong social conscience and a pacifist tradition (we won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1947). We have groups around the world, and are involved in many progressive social and political movements. We were responsible for starting some famous British businesses, like Barclays Bank, Cadburys and Clarks.
Nowadays, Quakers come from all religious backgrounds, including atheist and agnostic, to join a community of thoughtful, welcoming people all over the world.
Quakers value peace, sustainability, truthfulness, simplicity, equality and justice.
What kind of events do you hope to hold?
- Speakers on Quaker-related topics
- Multi-faith and interfaith events
- Dinner meetings: sharing simple food and talking about things that are important to us
- Film and theatre trips
And as we’re brand new, we’re very open to suggestions of activities!
Aims and Objectives:
- Establish ourselves as an ethical and sustainable society within the Guild
- Run at least 3 events, open to students and the public, that meet the overall aims of the society
- Network and co-operate with like-minded groups in the University