Useful Info

Refuse collection

Your rubbish, recycling or garden waste should be put out for collection at the designated collection point for your property in the correct bin. It should be out for collection no earlier than 6:00pm the evening before, and no later than 6:00am on collection days.

You can find out your collection days here or via your iexeter app.


Your landlord will have insurance for the property but this will not cover your contents. If you have valuables it is advisable to get your own to protect against theft, loss or damage of your personal possessions. We can not endorse any particular options but would advise that an internet search will provide you with a number of options to choose from.

Doctors and local amenities

TV Licence

If you are living in the property on a joint tenancy you will only need one TV licence for the property even if you have TVs in your own rooms. However, if you have a separate tenancy agreement for your own room you will each need a TV licence for TVs in your own rooms. If however, you share a TV in communal room you only need the one licence for the property.

Get your license here

Council Tax

Full time Students are not liable to pay council tax. Some properties are automatically exempt such as University accommodation.  

To count as a full student your course must last at least 1 year and involve at least 21 hours of study per week.  

Students should be able to print their own letters through the self service letter printing option available in your student record in iExeter

You will be able to generate a council tax exemption letter, that should be acceptable for your local council, however if not you can contact SID to request support with this. 

If you have a look at the link below you will see that you can print off a student status letter which you can use as evidence of council tax exemption, via your student record in iExeter. 

Unfortunately part time students are not automatically exempt from council tax.

If your are living in a house with someone who is not a student they will need to pay.

Moving In
Problems with Properties

Accessibility Tools

University of Exeter Students' Guild is a Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered Charity Number: 1136468 Company Number: 07217324; registered in England and Wales Registered office: Devonshire House, Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4PZ