#CamCan - Inclusion. Sustainability. Wellbeing.
Hey everyone, I'm Cam, I'm a History graduate and current Athletic Union President. I'm also a member of both EURFC and EUABC. I bet you're all wondering "why on Earth is he re-running for AU President?” Well other than struggling to let go (I mean who can blame me?) there are two main reasons:
Firstly, whilst I'm proud of my achievements so far (notably club constitutions, Good Lad workshops, greater Welfare Officer support) I have also learnt the many limitations of one year presidencies. Speaking from experience, it is very difficult to achieve all the goals you set yourself in one year (especially when much of that year is spent learning how to perform the role).
Secondly, there are a number of important projects I wish to continue working on, such as joining forces with the community to tackle racism in sport and challenging toxic masculinity. Because of my experience in the role I believe I am the best person to continue this work. My manifesto this year is focused around three key themes: Inclusion, Sustainability and Wellbeing.
- I will run another #DevonAgainstRacism conference for Black History Month, building upon the work I started last year. This event will explore the issue of racism of sport both locally and nationally, and will involve an influential speaker from the world of sport.
- I will work closely with the Guild's Disability Panel to improve our disability sport offer, with the aim to introduce inclusive sports such as Sitting Volleyball.
- I will work with the gym team to introduce a quiet gym hour.
Sustainability in Sport
- I will introduce monthly 'go green' challenges to encourage sustainability in our sports clubs.
- Clubs will be able to compete for a 'Sustainability Award' at AU Dinner.
- I will encourage clubs to purchase eco-friendly PlayerLayer kit.
- I will work with the Good Lad Initiative to create bespoke training workshops our sports clubs. This workshop will provide a template for clubs to adopt and use as best practice.
- Welfare training will be made compulsory for all club committee members.
- I plan to collaborate with Wellbeing Services and Guild Societies to increase knowledge and awareness of eating disorders.