Student Parents

Coming to University can be particularly difficult if you’re a parent of a child under 16. Along with the University of Exeter, there is a range of support to help make university life seamless.

Types of support available


The funding available to you will depend on whether you’re a UK or overseas student.

If you’re a Home student or a EU migrant worker, you’re usually eligible to apply for student finance. For more information, visit  

You may also be eligible for funding towards childcare costs. For more information, including the step-by-step guide, visit

Students and Universal Credit

Universal Credit a monthly payment to help you with your living costs. You usually can’t get Universal Credit if you’re a full-time student, however there are some exceptions:

  • You’re aged 21 or under, in full-time non-advanced education and don’t have parental support. This includes if you’ve left care provided by the local council or you’re without parental support
  • You’re responsible for a child. The child may be adopted or a foster child.
  • You live with your partner and they’re eligible for Universal Credit

If you’re a part-time student, you may be eligible for Universal Credit but you’ll need to meet other eligibility conditions, like being available for work.

For a full list of the eligibility criteria and for more information on how to apply, visit


The University of Exeter has a family centre for staff and students that provides excellent early-years childcare. For more information, visit

Devon County Council also have an excellent website that can help you navigate trying to fund and find childcare to suit your needs. Depending on where you live, it will give you access to a list of nurseries and childminders, and schools that offer breakfast clubs and after-school provision.


Family Accommodation

The University offers accommodation for family and couples. A family is defined as adult(s) with child/children under the age of 16.

Please note, there are limited family and couple's accommodation in self-catered residences so places cannot be guaranteed.

Applications for 2019/20 accommodation opens on 8 April 2019

For more information please visit:

International Students

The University of Exeter provides support for international students who are planning to bring their families to the UK while they study. They also offer a range of free English language classes for spouses of international students. For more information, visit

We’re here to help

We’ll support you with any applications for bursaries or any other issues that arise during your time at University.

Get in touch with our Advice Team on or go to for drop-in session times.

Accessibility Tools

University of Exeter Students' Guild is a Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered Charity Number: 1136468 Company Number: 07217324; registered in England and Wales Registered office: Devonshire House, Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4PZ