Housemate Disputes

Sharing a home can be stressful at the best of times, let alone with the added pressure of studying. If you are having ongoing issues with a housemate/s that you are unable to resolve, this can have an impact on your studies and wellbeing.

If you find yourself in this situation, we recommend you contact the Guild Advice Unit.

The Guild Advice Unit run a Student Mediation Project, which is an informal space for both parties to talk through issues and find a way forward.

If you in University Halls of Residence, you can contact the Resident’s Life team for support

If you feel the situation is affecting your wellbeing, you can contact the University Wellbeing Centre for support. They also have online, self-help resources you can access

Often, students will find themselves in the position of supporting a house-mate with serious mental health issues. We have some information here if you find yourself in that position.

In the worst-case scenario, you could ask your landlord for the right to leave your contract. Again, we strongly recommend you contact the Guild Advice Unit if you are in this situation.


University of Exeter Students' Guild is a Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered Charity Number: 1136468 Company Number: 7217324; registered in England and Wales Registered office: Devonshire House, Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4PZ