Welcome Team Roles 2020
This is a volunteer position at the centre of Welcome Team, responsible for settling new students into Exeter and helping them move in. Additionally, they can be found during the day and at night helping students across the city and campus, during Freshers' Week.
Team Member responsibilities include:
- Attending shifts they have been allocated to on the rota, letting team members know if they cannot make it
- Completing tasks and duties set by the team leader and/or staff, including:
- Moving students in on campus (more information below)
- Helping with Arrivals at Heathrow (more information below)
- Running information points
- Campus tours
- Answering questions and giving directions
- Keeping students safe whilst they're out in the city
- Helping with welcome events
Campus Arrivals Team
Do you want to be the first helpful Exeter face students see when they arrive in Exeter? Now's your chance to be part of the team that helps all of the new students arriving in Exeter to move into their accomodation.
You'll be either be based at halls of residence on and off campus or be stationed at the INTO car park to meet the coaches arriving from Heathrow. You'll greet students as they arrive and show them where they can collect their keys from and show them where their room is located. You'll also be on hand to give out freshers' packs and answer any questions that new students may have!
Heathrow Arrivals team
Do you want to be the first helpful Exeter face students see when they arrive at Heathrow? Be part of the team that will help over 400 students get from Heathrow to Streatham campus on Saturday 12 or Sunday 13 September.
You will be picked up from their accommodation by taxi at 3.00am to Streatham Campus. You will then be transported from Streatham campus at 3.30am to Heathrow, be placed in teams at terminals 3, 4, or 5. From there you will be moving people to terminal 5, checking pre-booked names and accompanying new students back to campus on one of our 5 private shuttle buses that day. You will be met by the arrivals Welcome Team at Exeter who will accompany the students on to their accommodation.
The Team Leader role is another voluntary position, providing front line support to the Welcome Team members. They will be responsible for a team of 10-15 volunteers throughout the week, communicating directly to Casual Staff, and making important decisions regarding their team's actions.
Team Leader responsibilities include:
- Looking out for the wellbeing of their team whilst on shift
- Organising their team members to cover all the duties each shift requires
- Making sure all team members are accounted for and safe at the end of each shift
- Keeping notes/records of any decisions made, and to pass these records onto casual staff
- Taking feedback and concerns from team members, and make notes from those to discuss with other leaders at a daily Team Leaders Meeting and feeding back to their teams on any relevant outcomes
- Briefing team members on any additional duties allocated by staff support at short notice
- Demonstrating commitment to the role and not to leave their team without a direct point of contact
The Casual Staff role is a paid role, acting as support for Team Leaders and Permanent Staff, providing logistical support and cover, making decisions, managing rotas and directing teams.
Casual Staff responsibilities include:
- Providing support to team leaders, and their teams of volunteers
- Coordinating the logistics of shifts for volunteers and managing volunteer rotas
- Keeping notes or records of any decisions made, and to pass those records onto permanent staff
- Taking feedback and complaints/concerns from the team leaders and reporting back any changes/outcomes as a result of this
- Providing support and holding decision making authority outside of normal working hours (for permanent staff)
- Maintaining contact with Guild, University and external staff/stakeholders