Advice for societies travelling abroad during and after Brexit

Advice for societies travelling abroad during and after Brexit

Advice for Societies Travelling to Europe 
in the event of a no-deal Brexit 

Please make sure you have read this advice and shared all relevant information with your members in advance of your trip. You must also meet with a member of Activities Staff to confirm your understanding of this advice.

This is up-to-date as of January 2019. If the advice changes significantly, the page will be updated accordingly.

For general advice on the EU and Brexit, please see the Univeristy's official guidance at


  • Make sure all of your members have checked their passports are valid for travel to Europe. The new rules will apply to passports issued by the UK, Gibraltar, Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Jersey. 

  • The rules for travel in the event of a no-deal Brexit are: 

  • You should have at least 6 months left on your passport from your date of arrival. 

  • If you renewed a passport before it expired, extra months may have been added onto your new passport’s expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months that should be remaining for travel to most countries in Europe. 

  • You can check your passport is valid at 

  • You shouldn’t have a problem getting back into the UK as long as your UK passport is valid 

  • If a member has a non-UK and non-EU passport, they should take any visa and immigration paperwork they would normally need to enter the UK. 

  • If a member has an EU passport, they shouldn’t need any additional documents to get back into the UK.  

  • The European Commission has proposed that in a no-deal situation, if you are a British Citizen, you would not need a visa for short stays in the Schengen area, or elsewhere in the EU.


  • If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, your access to healthcare when visiting an EU country is likely to change. Your EHIC card may no longer be valid. 

  • All members need to buy their own travel insurance (including personal health insurance), just as they would if visiting a non-EU country, so they can access healthcare if necessary. 


  • Contact your coach company to check your driver will be able to drive abroad in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Current UK Government advice is that from 28 March 2019 drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EAA.  In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA. 

  • UK students can drive legally in Europe as an extension to our UK licences . This will lapse on 29th March, so minibus drivers/hire car drivers need to have a new licence to drive on the 30th and beyond. Applications for this new licence currently have a 6 week lead time. 

General Advice 

  • Contact Activities in advance of your trip to check that our contact information for your trip leaders is correct and up-to-date. 

  • Ensure your trip leaders have access to a portable phone charger in case of long journeys and delays, so you are always contactable. 

  • Make sure all members take enough water and food in case of long delays.

Useful Information Sources 

University of Exeter Students' Guild is a Charity and Company Limited by Guarantee. Registered Charity Number: 1136468 Company Number: 07217324; registered in England and Wales Registered office: Devonshire House, Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4PZ